WRL Volunteer Policy
Williamsburg Regional Library volunteers provide support to staff by performing duties or tasks without wages or benefits. Volunteers do not take the place of staff but provide supplemental or special services.
Volunteers are accepted when their skills and abilities match specific needs within WRL. WRL does not guarantee that all volunteer applications will be accepted.
Volunteers are subject to the rules and regulations in the Volunteer Procedure Statement.
[Approved by WRL Board of Trustees February 26, 2003. Approved as amended by WRL Board of Trustees May 25, 2006; January 23, 2008]
Volunteer Procedure Statement
- The Library’s Volunteer Coordinator shall oversee the use of volunteers. Each division that uses volunteers shall designate a Volunteer Supervisor(s) to train, supervise, and evaluate volunteers. Volunteer Supervisors will keep accurate time sheets for all volunteers and submit to the Volunteer Coordinator monthly time sheets recording the hours worked by each volunteer.
- All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form. Volunteers must be age 16 or older, except with approval of a division volunteer supervisor.
- Volunteers under 18 years of age must have signed permission from a parent or guardian to volunteer for the Library.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will keep applications for all active volunteers (divisions are responsible for forwarding applications to Volunteer Coordinator, as necessary). A position description will be submitted to the Volunteer Coordinator for all volunteer positions.
- Volunteers will not divulge information from patron records. Misusing, falsifying, or tampering with any patron record is prohibited. Violation of these library policies will result in immediate dismissal.
- The Library has a responsibility to ensure that the volunteer force augments staff effort while meeting the individual's need for a meaningful volunteer experience. If there is not a job available, the volunteer will be informed that his/her application will be kept on file for a minimum of one year and he/she will be contacted if there is an appropriate opening.
- Volunteers are expected to wear identification badges when working for the Library. They shall have access to staff restrooms and lounge during their work hours. When volunteering, volunteers must follow division rules with regard to food and beverage in the Library.
- Volunteers may not wear perfume, cologne, scented aftershave, strong smelling lotion or other products while at work. Offensive body odors also are prohibited. If a complaint is made volunteers will be asked to correct the situation.
- During working hours, volunteers are expected to present a neat and clean appearance and to dress according to the requirements of their division.
- Volunteers will be informally evaluated on an ongoing basis and will work under an at-will status and may be discharged without cause or notice.
- Annually volunteers will be honored at a special event hosted by library staff. Other volunteer appreciation events may be organized periodically by library divisions. For every fifty hours worked by a volunteer, he/she will receive a Fifty-Hour Club membership, with the benefit of choosing a library item in which a bookplate noting the accomplishment is placed.
- All volunteers are subject to any and all appropriate background checks.
- I hereby acknowledge that I have read, understand, and will abide by the above Volunteer Policy and Procedures Statements.
return to the Volunteer page