Other Tax Assistance
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $49,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers, sponsored by various organizations, receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
Williamsburg Area Locations:
- James River Comm. Center (8901 Pocahontas Trail): Mondays 2-6 p.m. on February 3, 10, 17 & 24 Only
- Bruton Heights (301 First Street): Tuesdays & Thursdays 2-6 p.m.
- James City/ Williamsburg Community Center (5301 Longhill Road): Wednesdays 2-6 p.m., also February 3 & 10, 2-6 p.m.
- Quarterpath Rec. Center (202 Quarterpath Road): Saturdays 9:30 a.m. -1 p.m.
- Toano Middle School (7817 Richmond Rd): Mondays 3:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. (Closed Feb. 17)
For military personnel:
- Ft. Eustis Tax Center (2733 Madison Ave., Ft. Eustis, VA 23604): Mon-Fri, 8-4 p.m. Phone: 878-2343
What to Bring
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.