Founded in 1909 in the front hall of the historic Saint George Tucker House with 50 volumes, the library grew and relocated many times. It began serving James City County residents in 1926. The Williamsburg Library moved to its present location in 1973 with about 12,000 volumes and was first expanded there in 1981. The Williamsburg Regional Library was created by contract between the City of Williamsburg and James City County as an independent agency in 1977. The James City County Library was opened in the Norge area in July 1996.