Thursday Afternoon Film Series
July 1, 2021 @ 2:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until July 29, 2021
Now in its 18th year, the Thursday Afternoon Film Series screens a variety of classic and contemporary movies for an adult audience.
July Theme: Good Sports
July 1: That’s My Boy (1951), 2-3:50 p.m.
- Dean Martin plays a college football jock who helps his hapless roommate (Jerry Lewis) make the team in this farcical sports comedy. NR
July 8: Follow the Sun: The Ben Hogan Story (1951), 2-3:40 p.m.
- The life and career of legendary golfer Ben Hogan is portrayed in this fine biopic that stars Glen Ford, Anne Baxter, and golfers Jimmy Demaret and Sam Snead. Hogan himself supervised the golfing sequences. NR
July 15: The Catcher was a Spy (2018), 2-3:45 p.m.
- This is the true story of multi-talented Moe Berg who, in addition to playing professional baseball, also worked as a spy for the OSS in Europe during World War II. Paul Rudd and Tom Wilkinson star under the direction of Ben Lewin. R
July 22: Breaking Away (1979), 2-3:45 p.m.
- A small-town teen and his friends have a life-changing summer that culminates with a long-distance bike race. Peter Yates directs this low-key charmer starring Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid, and Daniel Stern. PG
July 29: 42 (2013), 2-4:10 p.m.
- This inspiring biopic tells the story of how Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play Major League Baseball and the toll it took on his personal life. Directed by Brian Helgeland, the film stars Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford. PG-13