Thursday Afternoon Film Series
October 7, 2021 @ 2:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until November 4, 2021
Now in its 18th year, the Thursday Afternoon Film Series screens a variety of classic and contemporary movies for an adult audience.
October Theme: Back to the Past (Time Travel Films)
October 7: Timeline (2003) 2-4:00 p.m.
- A team of archaeologists time-travel to the fourteenth century and find themselves caught up in a war between France and England. Richard Donner directed based on the book by Michael Crichton with Paul Walker and Gerard Butler starring. PG-13
October 14: From Time to Time (2009) 2-3:40 p.m.
- During the Second World War, a teen is sent to live with his grandmother (Maggie Smith) in her manor house in the country. Discovering that he can time travel back to the year 1805, he attempts to right some ancient wrongs. This fantasy was written and directed by Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey). PG
October 21: The Final Countdown (1980) 2-3:50 p.m.
- While on a routine cruise, the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier is caught in a time vortex and transported back to December 6, 1941, where the Captain (Kirk Douglas) faces a time-altering decision… should he launch a preemptive strike on the Japanese fleet to prevent the Pearl Harbor attack? Martin Sheen and Katharine Ross costar and the final scene was filmed at Naval Station Norfolk. PG
October 28: Frequency (2000) 2-4:00 p.m.
- Dennis Quaid plays a fireman who discovers a way to communicate with his son (Jim Caviezel) 30 years in the future. They purposely disrupt the natural timeline and then must scramble to undo the deadly consequences of their tampering. PG-13
Halloween Special Bonus Documentary
October 28: American Experience: War of the Worlds (2013) 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- The true story of the creation of Orson Welles’ 1938 “War of the Worlds” radio broadcast, and the controversy it generated. NR