James City County Library
7770 Croaker Rd., Williamsburg, 23188
Kitzinger Community Room
412 N. Boundary St., Williamsburg 23185
515 Scotland St., Williamsburg 23185
Williamsburg Library Theatre
Meeting Room Policy
The Williamsburg Regional Library provides meeting room space for public use. A fee schedule is set by the Board of Trustees. Priority for use is given to the requirements of WRL, then the City of Williamsburg and James City County. After those needs are met, other applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Available Rooms and Capacities
- Grace and Stanley Kitzinger Community Room – 110 (chairs only), maximum 45 (tables and chairs)
- Isabelle Cosby Meeting Room – maximum 12 seated
- Jane G. and Robert McGaw Meeting Room – maximum 24 seated
- Norge Depot – maximum 30
- Williamsburg Library Theatre – seats 268 (no standing room allowed)
- Patricia Schell Memorial Meeting Room – maximum 42 (chairs only), maximum 25 (tables and chairs)
- Room B – 24 (chairs only), maximum 15 (tables and chairs)
- Room C – 15 (chairs only), maximum 10 (tables and chairs)
- Meeting Room 127 – 91 (chairs only), maximum 45 (tables and chairs)
- Meeting Room 128 – 48 (chairs only), maximum 24 (tables and chairs)
- Exhibit Space – maximum 195 (standing)
Library hours are: Monday through Thursday – 10am to 9pm; Friday – 10am to 6pm; Saturday – 10am to 5pm; Sunday – 1pm to 5pm. Rooms cannot be used on days the library is closed.
- James City County Library (JCCL) – rooms may be used only during library hours.
- Williamsburg Library (WL) – rooms can be used outside of normal library hours with the payment of an additional fee. WL rooms cannot be used before 8am or after 11pm.
- Stryker Center (SC) – rooms may be used during library hours, Monday through Friday. Contact Program Services at 757.259.4070 for weekend availability.
Meeting Room Rates
Non-profit groups can use rooms B or C at WL or the Cosby or McGaw rooms at JCCL for up to 3 hours once a month without charge. Groups without non-profit status must pay a standard fee to reserve a meeting room. A class for which the user is receiving tuition or other payment will be treated as a standard use and be charged accordingly.
Schedule of meeting room rates.
Reservations must be made on a WRL application form. We recommend that you contact the Program Services Division at 757.259.4070 prior to filling out the application form to check date and room availability.
Reservations can be made up to 12 months in advance for the meeting rooms or up to 18 months in advance for the Theatre. Groups meeting once a month can reserve for a 12 month period. Groups meeting more than once a month can reserve for periods of up to four months. Theatre and Stryker Center reservations must be made at least four weeks in advance. Rooms are not reserved until the application has been received.
The library will hold a room without payment for 10 days after acceptance of a completed WRL application form. UNPAID BOOKINGS WILL AUTOMATICALLY EXPIRE AFTER 10 DAYS. Groups using the Theatre must pay a deposit of 25% in order to hold it, with the balance due no later than one week prior to the event. Groups using the Stryker Exhibit Space must pay a deposit in order to hold it, with the balance due no later than one week prior to the event.
Fees and minimums are not negotiable.
A user will receive a full refund if a reservation is canceled no later than:
- Seven days before scheduled use – Theatre or Stryker Exhibit Space
- 48 hours before scheduled use – all other rooms
- Groups canceling less than 48 hours before their once-monthly free use of a meeting room will be billed for its use and may have future dates canceled.
- At JCCL, rooms are self-service. Users are responsible for setting up the room’s tables and chairs and returning the room to its original appearance. Library staff will set up any AV equipment requested in advance if arrangements have been made at the time of application.
- At WL, staff will set up tables and chairs and any audio-visual equipment based on a user’s request on the application form.
- At SC, staff will set up tables and chairs and any audio-visual equipment based on a user’s request on the application form.
Since 1983 Williamsburg Regional Library has hosted displays and art exhibits in the Williamsburg Library Gallery, a portion of the library that doubles as the lobby of the Williamsburg Library Theatre. The Gallery consists of approximately 80 linear feet of lighted walls and two glass display cases. If you are interested in showing your works at the library, you can request space with our exhibit space form.
- Contact Person
- Each group must designate a contact person at the time of reservation who be responsible for defining set-up requirements and arranging payment for the group. The contact person must be present throughout the use of the facility and will be the only person authorized to make changes in the arrangements, unless otherwise agreed.
- Publicizing Events
- Use of the library facilities does not constitute co-sponsorship of programs by the library. The library does not publicize non-library events.
- In identifying the library facility where an event is being held please refer to the “Williamsburg Library,” “James City County Library,” or “Stryker Center.” The Williamsburg Library is located at 515 Scotland Street; the James City County Library is at 7770 Croaker Road; and the Stryker Center is at 412 North Boundary Street.
- Fliers can be displayed at each facility. The flier must be no larger than a legal size sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 14 inches) and can be posted no earlier than 14 days prior to the event.
The Following Procedures Apply to all Williamsburg Regional Library Facilities
A. Smoking is not permitted in any area of the Williamsburg Regional Library.
B. All audio/visual equipment will be operated under the supervision of library staff.
C. The library will not receive shipments from any user unless prior arrangements have been made. Users must provide labor for any shipments requiring handling.
D. All materials brought into the facility must be removed no later than 24 hours after the completion of the user’s program.
E. Applications for use of the library facilities will be accepted only on standard library forms.
- Users serving alcohol to the public are required to adhere to policies regarding liquor licenses by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Department.
- It is the responsibility of the user to enforce all conditions of their liquor license
- A copy of the license must be attached to the user’s application and the original must be displayed during the user’s event.
G. Film Production
- Williamsburg Regional Library facilities are available as a “location” for “filming”. Filming is considered a theatrical use of facilities.
- Filming may not preempt or interfere with normal library operations without the approval of the Board of Trustees of the Williamsburg Regional Library.
- For determining charges, “Filming” will be considered as “Theatre – Charging Admission” on the “Standard Fee Schedule”. As appropriate, other usage fees will also apply.
- Users serving food to the public are required to abide by all applicable local and state regulations.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Williamsburg Library Theatre.
- The kitchen is available for user’s use. However, a patron’s use may not monopolize the kitchen since other users may need the kitchen at the same time.
- When finished, the user is expected to clean the kitchen.
- Receptions are those events immediately preceding or immediately following a meeting or program taking place in another meeting room (or the Theatre) within the library.
- All receptions held or commencing during library hours will be free and open to the public.
- Private receptions may be held in the Williamsburg Library only when the facility is not open to the public.
- Any time there is more than one user using Program Services facilities, the Program Services area is considered to be open to the public.
- Birthday parties and other parties are not allowed within library facilities.
K. Nine-foot Steinway Concert Grand Piano
- The Steinway piano is available for use only with prior arrangement through the library. Any “trying it out” will be considered as usage and a piano usage fee will be charged to the user.
- The piano may not be moved off stage.
- The piano is not available for rent outside of the Theatre.
- Nothing may be placed on the piano other than sheet music.
- Nothing may be placed on the piano when it is backstage. If the top of the piano is not kept clear, the user will be charged for piano usage.
- Tuning, if requested by the user, will only be done by the piano technician the library selects. A charge will be made for requested tuning.
M. Political events
- When a meeting room is rented for a political gathering only one sign per candidate or issue (no larger than 20″ x 30″) is permitted within the room. No unauthorized signs will be affixed to the walls. Rules regarding signage outside the libraries are controlled by the City of Williamsburg and James City County regulations. (See also library policies regarding petitioning.).