$51,868 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
Williamsburg Regional Library, a nationally recognized, star-rated library, is looking for a public-service focused individual to join our adult services team. WRL contributes to a strong, informed, and resilient community by providing access to resources, programs, and public spaces. WRL delivers outstanding and equitable library services to all members of a diverse region.
WRL seeks an innovative and engaging individual to present, coordinate, and evaluate teen programming in the library buildings, working to ensure that programming offered by the division meets the goals of the division director and supports the strategic direction of Williamsburg Regional Library. The ideal candidate has experience in managing and evaluating projects, including developing and maintaining Young Adult collections.
WRL offers a collaborative, collegial, and flexible work environment with an emphasis on always adapting to meet the changing needs of our users. WRL is committed to equal opportunity in its employment practices. WRL values diversity and invites applications from all candidates, including those who identify with underrepresented groups.
- Provides public with information and materials from the library’s collection and other sources by researching and interpreting print, online and other sources; locates and recommends materials appropriate for users’ interest and reading levels; evaluates accuracy, currency and usefulness of materials.
- Recommends materials to read, view or hear, topics for reports and other assignments; prepares booklists, library guides and displays; offers programs and services to users.
- Develops and implements workshops and training for individuals and groups; researches in-depth reference questions; develops specialized collections, including electronic and online resources; and serves as a library liaison to these segments of the community.
- Assists with the adult services division’s operations, including maintaining, updating and interpreting the adult services division’s and the library’s policies and procedures; resolves staff, user, equipment and building problems as needed; improves the quality of library services through individual and general staff development, including attendance at workshops and conferences; serves on library committees; trains other staff as appropriate; supervises designated volunteer projects.
- Initiates, plans, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library and its collection to adults and young adults, including but not limited to films and special events, tours, classes, author visits, reading groups, etc.
- Master of Library Science (MLS) degree from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) college required; some experience in and commitment to public service; and some public library experience preferred.
- Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
- Knowledge of both print and electronic reference sources, computers and personal electronic devices and current trends in library services for adults and young adults; the principles, practices and techniques of library services, including collection development, outreach, programming, readers’ advisory and reference for adult and young adult audiences; adult and young adult literature and of reference sources and research techniques; knowledge of supervisory principles and skills.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite; oral and written communication.
- Ability to effectively work with users of all ages and other library personnel; plan and organize daily work and special projects; establish and maintain relationships with the library administration and staff members, government/school/community officials and personnel, vendors and the public; ability to work well under pressure.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until position is filled. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required for your application to be considered.