CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL UPCOMING EXHIBITS AT WRL GALLERIES!
Since 1983, Williamsburg Regional Library has hosted displays and art exhibits. Williamsburg Regional Library Galleries welcome artists to apply to display their artwork.
- Generally, WRL Galleries accept individual artists who have a sufficient body of work to fill the Gallery or exhibit Space.
- Classes or assemblages of artists are also invited to submit as a group.
- WRL will also organize open exhibits that will allow unrelated artists to exhibit their work.
While the library usually has a waiting list of approximately one year for exhibits, you can use the form below to submit an application online at any time. If your work is accepted to display, you will be notified about the time periods that are available. Exhibit times range from 4 to 6 weeks. Questions? Contact the Program Services Division at 757.741.3300, option 3.
SEE BELOW FOR EXHIBIT SPACES AVAILABLE.
Williamsburg Regional Library Gallery at the Library Theatre (515 Scotland St) is a portion of the library that doubles as the lobby of the Williamsburg Library Theatre. The Gallery consists of approximately 80 linear feet of lighted walls and a glass display case. Because of the nature of the exhibition area as a gathering space and one of three entrances to the library, the Gallery is unable to accommodate freestanding artwork.
Williamsburg Regional Library Gallery at Stryker Center (412 N Boundary St) consists of 22 freestanding, 1-meter panels that can be configured to provide up to 44 meters (144 feet) of display space, plus 9 meters (29 feet) of wall space.
Request Exhibit Space
- Art must also be suitable for view by the broad community of people who visit the public library.
- Items chosen for display must be mounted or framed and have either wires or hooks on the back that will allow them to be hung on the wall. Library staff will provide the proper hanging hardware and assistance in hanging the works.
- Works displayed in the Williamsburg Regional Library Galleries must weigh less than 25 pounds.
- Works exhibited should be identified with the name of the artist, title (if any), and either a price or “NFS” (Not For Sale) indicated on the label.
- Labels should be typed and not exceed business card (2” x 3 ½”) size so that they can fit in plastic holders that the library will provide.
- A letter-sized artist statement or exhibit title panel should also be provided by the artist(s).
- Works exhibited may be available for sale by the artist. Contact information should be included in the artist statement or title panel so that prospective purchasers can contact the artist directly. The library does not take any percentage of sales.
- A banner with a maximum area of 15 sq. ft. can be displayed on the exterior of the Stryker Center.
- The Library will promote the exhibit through its normal public information channels. The library will also make available a three-hour block of time where the artist or artists can host an opening reception that is open to the public.
- The exhibitor will use the proper name of the exhibit space in all promotional material, and will include WRL Galleries logo in all promotional materials where applicable.